When I tell my friends about how much I love to lift, I often hear “I don’t know where to start”. Don’t worry! I got you covered. Last year I wrote a pretty popular post about 7 Easy Strength Training Exercises, these take the weight to the next level by putting them into plans consisting of 8-12 weeks.
- Women’s Strength Training Guide from BodyBuilding.com: I really love this guide because it offers many specific exercises for women, plus they give specific sets on what to work on and how many reps to do for each. This guide shows how much you should be doing and how not to over strain yourself with a new program
- Workout Routines For Women – 4 Week Training Plan: This program from SHAPE encourages you to cut back on the cardio and push the weights to increase metabolism and build more muscle. This plan doesn’t give you a specific list of workouts and leaves the flexibility to adjust as you go. The plan changes to circuit halfway through switching up the plan of just lifting.
- The Transformation Workout Plan – Muscle & Fitness: Unlike the previous two this plan encourages cardio right along with the weightlifting. This plan uses a lot of supersets to get the job done.
- The Ultimate Female Training Guide – Simply Shredded: I really like this plan because it spends a great deal of time debunking the myths of how women should train (high cardio/no weights is what we are mostly taught) and it gives a very specific 12 week plan on how to lift weights daily and safely.
- Women’s Workout Routine To Get You Strong and Tones: This plan is full of weight lifting but also includes HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) and Low Intensity Steady State Cardio so you cardio bunnies can get your fix.
- How To Make A Strength Training Plan (and keep it!) – Greatist : I like this plan that you can build on your own following some of the most basic principles of weight training.
- Whole Body Conditioning Workout For Women – Muscle & Strength: This plan alternates full cardio with weight lifting with the intent of building muscle. This is a full 7 day routine!
- Beginning Weight Lifting Routine For Women – LIVESTRONG: This is the most simplest of the routines that incorporates 3lb, 5lb and 8lb weights.